Kitchen and bathroom home renovations

Work by an authorised person

An authorised person must be employed to carry out the plumbing and drainage building work for it to have building consent exemption.

If an authorised person does not complete the work, then it is not exempt.

The term "authorised person" covers:

You must make sure the plumber or drainlayer you are using for your building work has current authorisation from the Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Board.

Work by an owner-builder

If you are an owner-builder, you can carry out the low-risk work on a kitchen or bathroom renovation if you:

Owner-builder exemptions do not cover electrical, gas, plumbing or drainage work unless the owner-builder holds the appropriate license.

Kitchen and bathroom home renovations

Plumbing and drainage work exemptions

You are unlikely to need a building consent for plumbing and drainage work involving the repair, replacement of an existing sanitary fixture such as a sink or toilet pan.

You are required to obtain a building consent if the work involves adding an additional sanitary fixture to your house - for example, a new bath – where there was not one previously.

A building consent is not required to repair or maintain an existing water heater, if it is carried out by an authorised person.

More information on work that is exempted under the Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004 is available on the MBIE Building Performance website.

Check if you need a consent

You don't need a building consent for work listed if it is listed as exempted under Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004.

You are unlikely to require a building consent to:

You will need a building consent to:

Where sanitary plumbing work could adversely affect the performance of structural elements, such as floor joists or wall framing, this work may require a building consent.

All work must comply with the Building Code.

If you are not sure, get professional advice.